The volume of tourists increased and soon the small beach residents could not keep up with demand. So, in 1884, 42 craftsmen decided to construct a beach hotel in Søndervig. Each man put 1.500 dkk into the project (in all 63.000 dkk) This was a large sum of money for the times and with that Søndervig Hotel begang its construction.
Later the villa “Hvilen”, (meaning “rest”) which was big enough for all year use was constructed. The demand for a room in Søndervig Hotel was by this time so large that “Hvilen” was used as an alternative. It was later renamed Hotel Hvilen. Today it is known as “Hotel Strandkroen”.
The locals of the area did sometimes visit the beach, but it was with picnics of their own as very few could afford the expensive hotels. This did however change when it was discovered that a cup of coffee and a piece of bread was accessible for only 50 øre. This meant that more of the locals could afford to treat themselves and save the women from the work of bringing a huge basket full of food.
In the 1960´s Søndervig Beach hotel became “Vesterhavsbadet” (meaning west coast bathing). In the 1970´s the old hotel was torn down and new appartments were built on the spot. This later became “Danland”.
The increasing amount of tourists in Søndervig made the carpenter Sofus Nielsen build a new hotel in 1920. The hotel was named “Hotel Klitten” (meaning dunes hotel) and was situated on the highest dune in Søndervig.
The hotel was large and white with two towers which could be seen from miles away. There was 13 rooms on the first floor and 9 on the second. A restuarant was placed on the ground floor with an ajoining patio with garden furniture where visiters could enjoy the beautiful view. In 1970 12 extra rooms were added to the hotel, along with a swimmingpool. After many attempts to use the hotel as a hotel, it was in the late 80´s given to Red Cross refugee home.The wife of the local shopkeeper in Søndervig, Kirsten Hansen, remembers walking along the beach on a cold winter day with her 2 year old son and meeting a father and his son from the refugee camp. She remembers thinking that the boy was wearing blue shoes or socks but to her horror, realised that he was barefoot.With determination she went home to clean out her two sons closets and donated all she could to the refugee camp. In 1990 the hotel was so badly damaged that it was torn down. Then in 2002 a new holiday center was built on the spot. The new center follows the old architecture, with two towers as well.
The ad is from Ringkøbing news 24. April 1957
Kilde: Lokalhistorisk arkiv, Kloster