AUTOMOBILES, WHEEL STEAMERS, ETC.
In 1875, the railway to Ringkøbing was opened, which gave even more visitors the opportunity to make a pilgrimage to Søndervig. As early as 1936, the number of visitors was so great that a new country road was built to Søndervig.
Until cars became more common as a means of transport and the roads improved, it was possible for a number of years via Nr. Lyngvig Harbor to travel by water when visiting Søndervig. Watchmaker and goldsmith LC Andersen, Ringkøbing bought the paddle steamer "Prince Hamlet" in 1910. It was 45 meters long and 10 meters wide. "Prince Hamlet" had room for 350 passengers. In the summer, it sailed back and forth continuously.
A regular bus connection between Ringkøbing and Søndervig was established around 1920 by a truck driver in Ringkøbing. There were only a few connections a day both ways, hot sunny summer days excepted, especially Sundays, when all available crew and carriages were deployed to cope with the large number of passengers going back and forth between Søndervig and Ringkøbing.
The first car is believed to have arrived in Søndervig around 1905-1906. It was from Germany, and therefore its driver was unaware that you were not allowed to drive a motor vehicle on the small roads above Holmsland. They were accosted by the police and told to appear in court three days later. Aah, the car's passengers exclaimed when they heard it, but now we are in Søndervig, and we are allowed to stay here for three days!
Source: Local history archive, Kloster